Kalon Song Mao Nature Reserve is located in Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam. This protected area owns spectacular landscape for sightseeing and an ideal setting for trekking all seasons. Visitors will be pleased to get immersed in the evergreen forest and roam around the scenic canopy dominated by species of the Fabaceae, Fagaceae, Dipterocarpaceae, and Sapindaceae families. As long as you value the forest and wildlife, the visit to this Nature Reserve is highly recommended to promote Vietnam ecotourism destinations!
Scientific Information about Kalon Song Mao Nature Reserve
- Kalon-Song Mao is located in Phan Son and Phan Lam Communes, Bac Binh District, Binh Thuan Province. Its location is in the transitional zone between the coastal plain of south-central Vietnam and southern Annamite Mountains. Its map coordinate is 11°20′ – 11°32′ N, 108°16′ – 108°34′ E
- Its altitude ranges from 20m to above 1.000m. The highest peak of the Site is 1.136m. The hydrologic system is supported by the Luy and Ca Giay River, associated with their tributaries.
- It has an area of 20.000 hectares.
- Kalon-Song Mao was addressed on Decision No. 194/CT of the Chairman of the Council of Minister, dated 09 August 1986, which proclaimed the foundation of the 20.000-ha Nature Reserve (MARD 1997).
- In December 1997, FIPI (Forest Inventory and Planning Institute) started a quick investigation, which recommended that the Site would be preserved in the list of the Special-use Forests within an area of 40.000 hectares.
- However, up to now, the investment plan for this Site has not been initiated and the management board has not been organized. Besides, this Nature Reserve was not covered in the list of the Special-use Forests to be established in 2010, managed by the FPD of MARD (FPD 2003).
Biology and Conservation Topics in Kalon Song Mao Binh Thuan
The Kalon Song Mao Nature Reserve in Binh Thuan has the original vegetation types of evergreen forest, semi-evergreen forest, and deciduous forest. Among these, the evergreen forest is scattered on mountainsides and ridges, from the medium elevation to the highest points. This type of forest is featured with the 25-30m high canopy including the Fabaceae, Fagaceae, Dipterocarpaceae, and Sapindaceae species. Meanwhile, the semi-evergreen forest is distributed at lower elevations (between 200m and 500m) along streams and valleys, including Lagerstroemia calyculata, Cratoxylonsp, and Peltophorum pterocarpum. What’s more, the dominant deciduous forest has species of Dipterocarpus tuberculatus, D. obtusifolius, and D. intricatus. The secondary vegetation types include bamboo forest, scrub, and grassland. According to BirdLife/FIPI survey, the Kalon Song Mao Binh Thuan retained the high-value timbers such as Shorea cochinchinensis, Dalbergia cochinchinesis, Afzelia xylocarpa, etc.
Before 1986, fauna system in this Park recorded large mammals of Asian Elephant Elephas maximus and Gaur Bos gaurus. Other animals reported to be visible in the Site include Large-antlered Muntjac Muntiacus vuquangensis, Sambar Cervus unicolor, Red Muntjac M. muntjak, Clouded Leopard Pardofelis nebulosa, Asian Black Bear Ursus thibetanus, etc.
Matters of deforestation for the high-value timbers and other forest products cause major pressures on Kalon Song Mao Binh Thuan. Besides, forest degradation is caused by clearance for agriculture and forest fire. Meanwhile, species of animals have been eradicated due to the loss of ideal habitat and illegal hunting. These facts demand conservation plans to protect plants and animals inside the Nature Reserve.
Tourism in Kalon Song Mao Nature Reserve Binh Thuan
Kalon Song Mao Nature Reserve Binh Thuan offers very scenic trekking trails. Visitors will pass across the pristinely spectacular landscapes, local houses, grassland, coffee plantation, streams, etc. Then, they meet the slopes leading to ranges of the pine forest, and then the heart of the protected Site. Trekking in Kalon Song Mai has been a trendy activity among young trekkers and thrill-seekers who want to be back to wild nature and cherish green beauty.
- 2020.01.30Vietnam Travel BlogTop Romantic Things to Do in Hoi An
- 2020.01.08Vietnam Travel BlogWhat to Do in Ho Chi Minh City in 3 Days – Luxury Travel Guide
- 2019.12.25NewsNew Hanoi Day Tour – Vietnam Unique Things to Do in 2020
- 2019.12.06Vietnam Travel BlogTop Places to Celebrate Christmas in Vietnam 2020