Bat Trang Ceramic Village Hanoi is a valued tourist spot that preserves the high-quality ceramic traditions, attracting people to come to learn the history, explore culture, and buy aesthetic ornaments. Located in the suburbs of Hanoi capital, this traditional village owns the admirable collections of the premium ceramics once recognized by the Vietnamese royal forces.
A Quick History of Bat Trang Ceramic Village
Bat Trang Village Hanoi Vietnam was nestled on the bank of Red River, in Gia Lam District, around 16km from the center of Hanoi city. The name of “Bat Trang” meant “the large yard”, dedicated to the specialization. This name was derived from the Le Dynasty. At that time, there were attempts to gather the skilled ceramists and their offspring to inhabit in this area and develop business. The potteries in this village have been made for various functions such as for daily use, worshipping, artistic wares, etc. Generations in Bat Trang Village have tried to keep their traditions and quintessence to create the unique and sophisticated products. As time passes, Bat Trang ceramics have been exported to other corners of the country as well as of the world. Being famous for the high quality, glaze, and style, Bat Trang potteries are popular in Southeast Asia, Japan, Netherlands, Portugal, Britain, etc.
How to Get to Bat Trang Ceramic Village
There are three popular channels to reach the full-of-premium-pottery village:
- By Bus: This is the cheapest and most convenient mode of transport to get to Bat Trang Pottery Village Hanoi. Departing from any spots in Hanoi City, you take a bus to Long Bien Transit Bus Station. Then, continue to take a bus No. 47 to Bat Trang Village. Just take a seat and enjoy the scenic journey.
- By motorbike or car. The route is quite easy. You need to cross Chuong Duong Bridge or Vinh Thuy Bridge and Thanh Tri Bridge. Then, turn right to ride along the bank of Red River until you see the signboard that shows Bat Trang Ceramic Village.
- By Boat: There are boat tours on Red River that include the stop at Bat Trang Village every weekend. The tours cost around 350.000 VND – 400.000 VND/passenger. It’s necessary to ask in advance whether the boats pass by this village.
What to See in Bat Trang Ceramic Village Vietnam
Ceramic Market and Local Houses
Visit Bat Trang Ceramic Village, you should take opportunities to see how the ceramists create their masterpieces. By watching the procedure, some tourists might want to get the hands-on experiences in making their own potteries. The good place for this activity is the Ceramic Market (Cho Gom) where has the “pottery making service” in several houses. Enter a house and try it out!
As usual, a local host will give you a big clay ball (humid a bit) and a wheel. Then, you put the clay ball in the middle of the wheel and shape your object. Most of the practitioners will make cups, bowls, or various other round-shaped utensils. If you have skillful hands, you can try making the animal-shaped potteries. After being modeled, the potteries need to be heated to a very high temperature to become hard enough. The heating step might take around 30 minutes. Meanwhile, you can get around to explore the Ceramic Market, have lunch, and feast eyes with numerous artistic objects and souvenirs. If you want to shop, then do it in the market because it offers more reasonable prices than elsewhere. After that, paint your own objects and beautify them with colors. In the end, the ceramics will cover your potteries with the special gloss paint to enhance its hardiness. The fee for each pottery is around 30.000 VND – 50.000 VND. Take your hand-made potteries home and they will remind you of the beautiful time in this traditional village in Hanoi.
Bat Trang Village Temple
Located nearby Red River, the temple holds an indispensable role in the villagers’ spiritual life. It’s easy to notice the temple on the routes along the riverbank, but you can also ask the locals for directions. This is the ancient construction with impressive architecture and revered atmosphere. The back-in-time journey to Bat Trang Village Hanoi cannot lack the sightseeing moments at this antique temple. It is also the fantastic background for photography. The artistic ornaments in the gate of the temple are very eye-catching, which tell how deluxe the local ceramics are.
Van Van House
“Vạn Vân” means an ideal place for the beautiful clouds to gather. This house preserves the valuable and ancient objects from the traditional villages, most of Bat Trang ceramics. Situated in the end corner of the village and shaded by the large trees, Van Van House exhibits more than 400 antique ceramics of the 15th – 19th centuries, which are absolutely worth contemplating.
Tips for You to Do Shopping in Bat Trang Ceramic Market
- Remember to bargain when you buy ceramics in the market. This brings more reasonable prices, Vietnamese shopping experiences, and you can buy like the locals do.
- Check the objects before going out of the shops. This prevents you from getting the low-quality or the misshapen products.
- Watch your steps while walking in the market. The merchants display many potteries out and the potteries are easily to be broken. And if they are broken because of your steps, you have to compensate.
- Ask for the local merchants’ support in transportation if you buy the large and cloggy products. This way, you’re assured to receive the complete ornaments.
In some senses, Bat Trang Pottery is the pride of Northern Vietnam that appears in the beautiful folk songs like “I wish I could marry you – I will buy Bat Trang bricks to make our house.” Lots of local students come to this village at weekend to study the historical and traditional values in the famous handicraft objects. There are also Bat Trang Ceramic Village Tour from Hanoi that ensures the enjoyable discovery and shopping. Try making your own pottery, buy the favorite ceramic souvenirs, and take pictures, you have a happy day tour to tell.
The video presents Bat Trang Ceramic village
- 2019.02.28Vietnam National ParksFind True Nature at Ngoc Son – Ngo Luong Nature Reserve in Hoa Binh Vietnam
- 2019.02.25NewsDirect Flights to Vietnam from India by VietJet Air
- 2019.02.25NewsTravel to Vietnam from U.S. with Direct Flights after Trump Kim Summit 2019 in Hanoi
- 2019.02.13Vietnam National ParksMarvel at Caves in Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park in Quang Binh Vietnam